Samis+Company is a leading insurance litigation firm serving Canada’s property and casualty insurers and institutions that self-insure property and casualty risks.
Headquartered in downtown Toronto, with a second office in Kitchener-Waterloo, our firm serves clients throughout the province of Ontario.
Our Leadership in the Insurance Community
Throughout our nearly four decades of serving property and casualty insurers, our perspective has been forward-looking. We anticipate and plan for changing conditions in the insurance environment.
Sharing our Expertise
Samis+Company provides our client community with in-house training and education on developing issues and trends. We also share our legal knowledge with the broader insurance community. For example, we regularly serve as instructors for the Insurance Institute of Ontario and have developed and presented programs that lead the industry on issues such as personal injury compensation, environmental law and insurance, and subrogation trends and best practices. In addition, the insurance community frequently calls on us to present on current legal issues to organizations such as:
- Canadian Insurance Claims Managers Association
- Insurance Bureau of Canada
- Ontario Mutual Insurance Association
- Ontario Insurance Adjusters Association
- Canadian Insurance Adjusters Association
- Ontario Risk and Insurance Management Society
- Insurance Institutes of Canada and Ontario
Improving Insurance Services
Our contributions to the insurance industry extend beyond claims matters. Working with industry and government, Samis+Company has led and supported initiatives that result in better delivery of services to our mutual customers, the people who pay insurance premiums. These initiatives include the following:
- Developing one of the most successful insurance products in Canada, the OEF 44, which offers great value to customers and a sound business proposition for insurers (approximately 300 million contracts sold)
- Providing specialty insurers with leading-edge policy language
- Providing government with a legislative and regulatory framework to make insurance more affordable for households with high-risk drivers (i.e., developing the excluded driver model)
- Supporting reform initiatives in several provinces
- Providing counsel on how insurers and government should interact on regulatory concerns arising out of claims transactions
- Providing counsel to industry on auto insurance reform
- Appearing before legislative committees, locally and abroad, on insurance-related issues
- Leading industry-wide negotiations with health care stakeholders
Our Leadership in the Legal Community
Samis+Company is known for its leadership in the legal community.
More than 20 years ago, Lee Samis founded Canadian Defence Lawyers, the preeminent association representing the interests of Canadian insurance defence lawyers. His contribution is honoured with the organization’s Lee Samis Award of Excellence, presented each year to a Canadian defense lawyer in recognition of exceptional contributions or achievements.
Lawyers in the firm have also held leadership roles in the Canadian Bar Association, Canadian Defence Lawyers and the Defense Research Institute Board of Directors.
In addition, Samis+Company is recognized for its contributions to the professional development of the wider legal community. Our lawyers are frequently invited to present to professional groups, including:
- The Advocates’ Society
- The Law Society of Upper Canada
- The Hamilton Law Association
- Toronto Legal Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Defence Lawyers
- Defense Research Institute
Our Leadership in the Wider Community
At Samis+Company, we believe that we all share a responsibility to contribute to the needs of the community in which we live and work. We are proud to support and participate in a wide variety of worthy endeavors, including:
- Starlight Children’s Foundation Insurance Gala, an annual event to raise money to improve the life and health of kids and families around the world
- Camp Ooch, serving children with and affected by cancer
- CANFAR AIDSbeat, an annual “Battle of the Bands” to support Canada’s only national organization dedicated to privately funding HIV and AIDS research
- Sleep Tight Campaign, a campaign to collect new pajamas that are distributed to people in need in Waterloo Region
Contact one of our lawyers.